Castle Water has an exciting opportunity for an innovative Solution Designer to join our dynamic IT/Systems team and to develop and implement systems architecture that will meet business needs.
The Solution Designer’s responsibilities will include gathering requirements, analysing and translating business, information and technical requirements into an architectural blueprint that outlines solutions to achieve business objectives and documenting of functional specifications, as well as developing enterprise level designs that integrate across applications, systems and platforms. The Solution Designer must also be able to regularly update the company on any developments in systems architecture projects.
To be successful, you should be able to integrate any updated specifications and requirements into the systems architecture and to explain complex problems to all stakeholders in layman’s terms. This is not a hands-on coding role, but one of solution integrity leading to future scalability, reduction in technical legacy and support costs and enabling a digital transformation of the company offering, specifically to customers.
Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, supplying (at September 2018) 570,000 Supply Points across England and Scotland. Castle Water is the leading supplier in London and the Thames Valley, South East England and Portsmouth, and one of the 5 largest suppliers in Scotland.
Castle Water has a track record of providing excellent customer service, and of developing innovative approaches to utility supply. We developed the first affinity partnership in the water sector, pioneered online switching by customers, and were the first company to transfer customers in England. We have more 5* reviews on Trust Pilot than all other water retailers combined. Our values include treating customers fairly and maintain an open-door approach with our regulators.
Our head office is based in Blairgowrie in Northern Perthshire, within easy commuting distance of both Perth and Dundee, and equidistant between Edinburgh, Glasgow and Aberdeen. The area provides excellent opportunities for a range of activities, from golf and fishing to mountain biking and skiing.
This is a full-time, permanent opportunity, and will be based at our Blairgowrie offices.
- Designing and integrating information systems to meet the company’s needs
- Assessing the systems architecture currently in place and working with IT architectural governance and technical staff to recommend solutions to improve it
- Resolving technical problems as they arise through understanding of E2E business outcomes as delivered by multiple systems
- Providing guidance to development teams
- Continually researching current and emerging technologies and proposing changes where needed
- Informing various stakeholders about any problems with the current technical solutions being implemented and business or IT mitigations
- Assessing and articulating the business impact that certain technical choices have and conversely the technical impact of business choices where cross-system or processes are involved
Key Skills & Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology, Software Engineering, Computer Science, or related field or equivalent work experience
- Proven experience in development and software and service architecture design
- Project management experience is advantageous
- A sound knowledge of web and back end integration services, micro-service architecture, SQL relational databases or NoSQL
- Experience of Microsoft Azure or other cloud services would be an advantage but is not essential
- Efficient and effective communication skills, especially to non-technical audiences
- Knowledge of de-regulated water industry for non-household or other utilities experience would be advantageous
- Knowledge, experience or certification of TOGAF is desirable
How to apply
If you have the drive, experience and skills to support our continued success, send your CV together with a covering letter to email@example.com. We look forward to hearing from you.
Innovation and knowledge sharing are part of our everyday experience. We invest the training and support you need to succeed and deliver the excellent service our customers expect. We offer an attractive base salary, pension scheme, life cover and 28 days paid holiday.