Winter is coming! The car scrapers are out and there’s no hiding from the fact that temperatures are falling. Now is the ideal time to think about how you can protect your business from the nightmare scenario of frozen – and potentially burst – pipes over the holiday period.
By following our precautionary measures, you can keep your business Winter Wise and minimise the risk of a nasty freeze this winter.
- It may seem obvious but keeping your business warm is one of the best ways to prevent any pipes from freezing. Keep your premises heated, and if your business is going to be closed for a period of days, consider keeping the heating on a low setting while you are away.
- If possible, leave doors open including cabinets and cupboards. This will help the air circulate and encourage the warmth to move to those hard to reach crevices pipework is normally located in.
- If the property is vacant over winter, consider turning off the water supply and draining the system. It’s also a good idea to regularly visit a closed business to check for any issues.
- Pipes can be protected by applying insulating tape directly on or around the pipes. Water pipes, tanks or toilet cisterns in unheated outbuildings or exposed places should also be insulated. If not in use over winter, consider having them drained.
- Minimise draughts, which can cause pipework to freeze, by fitting draught excluders on doors and windows. Always ensure that you have adequate business insurance in place as leaks and burst pipes can be very costly to your business.
- Get Winter Wise now and be prepared! Find and know how to use your stopcock and have the phone number of an emergency plumber to hand. Have an emergency kit ready which includes important contact numbers and an emergency supply of fresh, clean drinking water.
For more guidelines and detailed advice on how to help your business beat the chill this winter, read our Winter Wise guide. Including top tips such as:
- How to be Winter WISE
- What to do if a pipe freezes or bursts
- 4 things to do now to prepare your business for winter
- Your essential winter checklist
- More help and advice
- Essential contact details
Reporting an emergency
To report an emergency, disruption to your water supply, water quality or wastewater service visit castlewater.co.uk/emergencies or during office hours call Castle Water on 01250 718 700. We’re open Monday to Friday, 8am – 6pm. Holiday closures are displayed on our website.
Or outside office hours call your water wholesaler:
- Scottish Water 0800 0778 778
- Portsmouth Water 023 9247 7999
- South East Water 0333 000 0365
- Thames Water 0800 316 9800
Concerned that you may already have a leak?
View our Leak Assistance FAQs, or learn more about dealing with burst pipes at castlewater.co.uk/leak-assistance.
As a small or medium-sized business, we understand that you require services that can be tailored to your needs. For more information on how we can help, please visit castlewater.co.uk/watermanagementsme.
Download your copy of the 2019 Winter Wise Guide here.