During the cold winter months, when temperatures regularly drop below zero, the freezing weather can cause damage to your business water pipes. This may potentially result in business downtime or even closure. So regardless of what the weather brings us this season, businesses should always take time to prepare for the worst.
Before locking up for the festive season, complete your business premises winter checklist to ensure your business is protected over the cold weeks ahead:
- Locate your internal stopcock - it may be under the kitchen sink or in the staff toilets.
- Make sure your office boiler has been serviced.
- Closing for a few days? Leave the heating on low or drain down the system.
- Insulate water tanks and lag your pipes. Remember not to leave any gaps at bends, valves, or fittings. Lagging material is available from all good DIY stores.
- If there is a loft space, check loft insulation is in good condition.
- Ensure pipes, cisterns, and tanks in unheated areas such as lofts are lagged.
- Leave loft doors open to allow warm air to circulate.
- Repair dripping taps - even a small trickle can result in frozen pipes.
- Keep a separate supply of drinking water in case of emergency.
- Make sure you have adequate insurance against plumbing and drainage emergencies such as burst pipes.
- Note the name and number of an industry recommended plumber in case of emergency.
- Castle Water’s contact and emergency contact numbers are listed below and can also be found on our website.
Emergency contact details
If you have an emergency to report regarding disruption to your water supply or service:
During office hours, call Castle Water on 01250 718 700. We’re open Monday to Friday, 8am – 6pm.
Outside office hours, call your water wholesaler on the relevant contact number here.
Our Castle Water offices will close for the festive public holidays on the following days:
- Friday 24th December from 1pm: Closed
- Monday 27th December: Closed
- Tuesday 28th December: Closed
- Friday 31st December from 1pm: Closed
- Monday 3rd January: Closed
In the meantime, if you’d like to make a payment, login to MyAccount or go to castlewater.co.uk/paybill. If you experience an emergency or unplanned disruption to your water supply and or wastewater service while our offices are closed, please call your water network owner.
You can find a list of emergency numbers on our website at castlewater.co.uk/emergencies. If you experience a problem with the water pipework within your own building or site, you should call your plumber in the first instance.
You can also read more about the business water services we provide, as well as the wastewater management services here. Contact us today.