Your essential business checklist for winter
Are you dreaming of a white Christmas?
Regardless of what the weather brings us this season, businesses should always take some time to prepare for the worst. Cold and frosty weather can wreak havoc on business premises which can lead to pipes freezing or even bursting. You can go a long way in preventing winter problems from arising, causing business downtime (or even closure!), by following this essential winter business checklist:
- Locate your internal stopcock - it may be under the kitchen sink or in the staff toilets.
- Make sure your office boiler has been serviced.
- Closing for a few days? Leave the heating on low or drain down the system.
- Insulate water tanks and lag your pipes. Remember not to leave any gaps at bends, valves, or fittings. Lagging material is available from all good DIY stores.
- If there is a loft space, check loft insulation is in good condition.
- Ensure pipes, cisterns, and tanks in unheated areas such as lofts are lagged.
- Leave loft doors open to allow warm air to circulate.
- Repair dripping taps - even a small trickle can result in frozen pipes.
- Keep a separate supply of drinking water in case of emergency.
- Make sure you have adequate insurance against plumbing and drainage emergencies such as burst pipes.
- Note the name and number of an industry recommended plumber in case of emergency.
Reporting an emergency
To report an emergency, disruption to your water supply, water quality or wastewater service visit castlewater.co.uk/emergencies or during office hours call Castle Water on 01250 718 700. We’re open Monday to Friday, 8am – 6pm. Holiday closures are displayed on our website.
Or outside office hours call your water wholesaler:
- Scottish Water 0800 0778 778
- Portsmouth Water 023 9247 7999
- South East Water 0333 000 0365
- Thames Water 0800 316 9800
Concerned that you may already have a leak?
View our Leak Assistance FAQs, or learn more about dealing with burst pipes at castlewater.co.uk/leak-assistance.
For more guidelines and detailed advice on how to help your business beat the chill this winter, read our Winter Wise guide. Including top tips such as:
- How to be Winter WISE
- What to do if a pipe freezes or bursts
- 4 things to do now to prepare your business for winter
- Your essential winter checklist
- More help and advice
Download your copy of the 2019 Winter Wise Guide here.