Water bills higher than usual? You may have a leak.

Act now to cut your costs and save water.

Water leaks can occur unexpectedly and can be very costly to your business. Use our helpful FAQs below to help find out if you have a leak – and what to do about it.

Why are my water bills higher than usual?

If your water bills are becoming more expensive, and you are using more water than usual, this may mean that you have a leak. If this leak is on your premises, you are responsible for finding and repairing it.

How can I find out if I have a leak?

If you think you have a leak, you can follow these simple steps:

  • Choose a time of day where you can turn off all water appliances, for example overnight when your business is closed.
  • Then, if the meter is safe to access, take a meter reading.
  • Leave appliances off for at least 30 minutes, then take a meter reading again.
  • If the number has not changed, it is unlikely that you have a leak.
  • If the number has changed, you may have a leak.

Is it my responsibility to fix the leak?

Where your leak is located will determine who is responsible for fixing it.

  1. If the leak is in the mains or communication pipework that carries the water from the treatment works and reservoirs into the area around your business premises, then your Water Network Owner is responsible for this (i.e. Thames Water, Portsmouth Water, Affinity Water). Please find your Network Owner’s contact details here.
  2. If the leak is in your supply pipe then it is your responsibility to have this repaired and the next FAQ provides advice on who to contact. The sooner you can have this fixed, the sooner you can avoid high water charges as a result.

I have a leak that is my responsibility. What should I do now?

To fix a leak, you can carry out the following simple steps:

  • Call a private plumber to repair your pipes.
  • Check your building and contents insurance policy – this may cover the repair.
  • Castle Water has various framework partners who can provide solutions to address a number of issues which can affect water usage including leaks.

What if my supply is shared?

If you have a shared water supply, you and the other party who share it are both jointly responsible for ensuring that the leak is fixed.

What if I don’t get the leak repaired?

If you don’t repair the leak, your Water Network Owner has the right to fix the leak under Section 75 of the Water Industry Act 1991 and charge you directly for the repair.

What if the leak is an emergency situation?

If the leak is an emergency, please contact your Water Network Owner. You can find contact details here.

Can I claim back the additional charges on my water bill as a result of a leak that wasn’t my fault?

You may be eligible to claim a leak allowance on your water bill.

If you are a customer in England please send a completed leak allowance form to support@castlewater.co.uk or to Castle Water Limited, 1 Boat Brae, Blairgowrie, Perthshire, PH10 7BH.

If you are a customer in Scotland, you do not need to complete the form. Simply email customersupport@castlewater.co.uk with your contact information and basic details of the leak and we will be in touch to guide you through the leak allowance process.