Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need I licence for a short amount of time?

Yes. Short term consents can be issued for activities such as construction; charges for effluent discharge will be issued in advance.

How is the volume of effluent determined?

Most waste volumes are determined from the metered potable water. Allowances may be subtracted to account for water not returning to the sewer, as well as allowing for sewerage waste.

If I do not have a water meter, how is my waste volume determined?

Some customers may choose to install a waste meter to measure the volume directly. Without metered volumes the wholesaler will provide an estimated annual volume based on the business activities.

Why am I being billed on estimated meter readings?

If regular meter readings are not being submitted, customers may be billed on a scheduled basis.

How are estimated readings determined?

Invoicing will be based on estimates determined by the last actual meter readings.

Can I submit meter readings for invoicing purposes?

Submitting regular meter readings allows us to invoice more accurately. Trade effluent invoices are issued in arrears, so we require regular meter readings for all meters to invoice on a read-to-read basis. Meter readings can be submitted to

How is the tariff determined?

Tariffs are split into several different ‘bands’ corresponding to the annual chargeable volume that the tariff applies to. The wholesaler determines which tariff applies for each water services component. Further information on this can be found in the Scheme of Charges.


  • Biological treatment – process where bacteria breakdown biodegradable substances such as soaps, detergents and soluble foodstuffs
  • Solids treatment – separation of suspended solid material using filters and settling tanks
  • Chargeable strength – the contamination of the waste at the discharge point
  • Regional strength – the average contamination concentration for the wholesaler’s catchment area.
  • Chemical oxygen demand – the oxygen required to support the bacteria in biological treatment
  • Settleable solids – the amount of solid material suspended in the effluent.
  • Domestic allowance – the reduction of chargeable trade effluent volume corresponding to the chargeable sewerage volume
  • Percentage allowance – the reduction of trade effluent corresponding to water that does not return to the sewer (due to evaporation/irrigation/use in company products)
  • Private water meter – meter installed to record consumption of water not obtained from mains supply, e.g. borehole aquifer